Friday, February 15, 2013

We Just Release Our Grip Slightly


The Rev. Donna Schaper says that it is important that we grant ourselves time away. She writes, "What is our worst habit? It is the habit that prohibits pause. It is the habit that is all action without reflection"

The first time I flew out of the United States, many years ago; I realized that I had only arrived in the Departure Lounge of JFK in NY City and was already in Culture Shock. There was a sense of unease and not knowing what lie ahead. But this time out, I have been around a bit and rather enjoy the sense of being among the unfamiliar...a true sense of granting oneself time to pause.

Case in point, the very simple thing of taking a Japanese Airline to Tokyo. The meal was a delightful Japanese Meal, served with care and it was quite good. But halfway through the airline meal it occurred to me that I had, besides chopsticks...a metal knife, fork and spoon. I haven't seen a metal knife on a plane since the early Clinton Administration. And when they poured tea or coffee, we just got a half cup. Since my daughter lived in Japan at one time and speaks the language, I figured I'd ask her if this was probably some deeply rooted cultural thing. Laura just said that they simply gave me a half cup of coffee. No significance as far as she knew.

Such insights into the cultural norms of the Japanese culture enriched my day.

But, I did take a chance, noting that plane was two- thirds full and that the two seats in front and behind me were empty (Thus freeing me and Josh who was between Laura and me.)
The last time I asked Flight Attendant on an American flight if I could move, she told me that if I did so, and the plane crashed, that my body would not be accounted for. This did not reassure me about the flight in general and it's been decades since I asked again. But today I did. The Japanese Flight Attendant seemed fine with the idea. She may have been saying, "Fat chance!" but I understood her to be saying, "Of course, you Americans are free to sit ANYWHERE in the cabin that you want!"

Ash Wednesday has come and gone. It fascinates me that so many wanted to attend our service, reflect on their shortcomings and invite the mercy of the Creator into their lives. All day yesterday I saw folks around town with the mark of the cross of ashes on their foreheads. Today, I imagine that those ashes are washed off. But as I type this, I notice that my right thumb is still stained with the inky-black ashes which I placed on the faithfuls' foreheads last night in worship. I wonder if that is so for many ministers and priests on the day after Ash Wednesday and if so; is that a reminder that we above all others, need an extra day to contemplate how we have fallen short? A pause to ponder that.

From the aisle seat with a half cup of coffee............
Rev. Bob Tussing

1 comment:

  1. Great to see your blog already Bob!! So was your cup half empty or half full? Hope you get a full cup somewhere along your travels!
    Safe journey!
    Barb

    ReplyDelete